Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Window Buckin

Hello friends and neighbors,
This is another post about the continuing saga of the cabin on the hill.

Over the weekend and through today (Wednesday) was adding more window bucks. Whew. And it's still not over!

The process was to 'notch' the logs that came in contact with the window buck a certain amount in order to provide a nice space above for settling of the logs. You may remember the first two windows only had 1/2" of log I had to get rid of. However, the next ones had 4 and 5 inches of log to cut or 'notch' out. After notching one at 5" we decided that destroying that much good log was wasteful and came up with another idea.

Understanding that the window buck and surrounding area 4" out from the buck would never be seen we decided instead to put a 1x6 below the buck in the case of a 5" notch, and a 2x6 in the case of 4" notch. This allows to keep the same heights but save valuable logs.

The math goes like this:
A log has a height of 5 1/2". If you notch out 5 of those inches that leaves you with a sliver of wood 1/2" thick under the window buck. Which was mostly gone in the center of the log because the bottom of the log is notched for the tongue by the mill. We decided this was flimsy and would not be stable enough for a window. Therefore the decision was to put a 1x6 planed down to 1/2" instead. You can see the bottom board in this following picture.

Doing it this way means I do have to route off the tongue of the logs below the window buck but that is better we think. The bucks that have been mounted this way are level, and have lost no structural integrity by doing it this way (probably gained some though).

As of close today I had all but 2 current bucks in. The two in process have the log routed and the 1x6 installed. One corner is left to be glued and screwed, then the bucks can go in. After that I can add all the 2x4 braces, which reminds me I need to make rebar stakes tonight and sandbags tomorrow (ugh).

This portion of the construction changes the tactics a bit. A good thing is that the lengths of logs I have to handle is greatly shortened due to the windows. The average length piece I'll be handling is 3 to 6 ft, which I (thankfully) can lift by myself. However, on the other hand this ease will be short lived as the height will increase ever faster forcing a decision to mount scaffolding outside or inside the wall for the last few courses. But that's gotta be weeks away. :)

So Far:



Goo-bye-yall, stay warm dearies,
Jimily

No comments:

Post a Comment