Heeeello all you party peoples!
Golly all my posts this year except for the flurry of goat births have been catch-up posts. My task list is long and distinguished just like...whoa did you just have a flashback to 'Top Gun' for a moment too? I digress.
Ok so much to tell so I'll start with the big news. Emiloo got her Gall Bladder out today and it went well. She should be back up and lifting more than 10lb objects soon. :P This has been a long standing problem and now things should change for the better which is always a super win win. She's sleeping here under the fog of pain meds at the moment. It was outpatient surgery but not minimal by any means. Think shish-ka-bob for there were sticks sticking out of my honey like a pincushion at some point with a masked man actuating the joysticks. And then pop out comes the gall bladder on the end of one of the high tech spikes reminiscent of Milton Bradley's "Operation". She came through it as well as can be expected and we are told a quick recovery is expected. Woot a weeks vacation for Emiloo!
Ok the second biggest thing is that we are complete with the log stacking on the house! Oh man I cannot tell you how happy I am. I mean really happy. Think as happy as you can think and that's only half as happy as I am about reaching this milestone. This is what 19 layers of 250lb logs looks like, and you can also see how happy Emiloo is as the bolt she has there is the last one:
That's 10+ feet up and represents the first floor. The next step is to put up the oak 'girder' aka a big beam everything sits on. It is 4 pieces of 6x11 log that runs the length of the house. So the actual next step is to come up with something to lift those into place. At first I was talking to a friend about making a gin pole and using that combined with a winch, but alas geometry foiled that plan as I couldn't get a long enough boom into the center area of the house in order to lift the big beams. So now I'm onto a gantry idea as I have some 2 3/8" steel pipe in 24' sections which spans the front and back walls. All I have to do now is get it up about 20" above the top of the wall to leave room `for a snatch block or pulley below the pipe attached to the payload and voila 350lb logs floating in air! I'll be welding some triangle lookin' things for both sides, it's gonna be great!
There are 4 of those big girder pieces, and 20 other 6x6 beams that eminate out from the girder attached to the walls to form the second floor platform. Before we put them up we have to sand all the beams a little, put a coat of polyurethane on them, paint all the brackets, and then attach the brackets who then wait for beams to be dropped into place. Whew it sounds like a bunch but coming off of placing 200 logs this 24 will go easier and it's not laying logs so hurray for that.
After the second floor beams are up and have been covered with plywood we can then turn our attention to the roof. Oh by the way the plywood platform is temporary because the log house company will deliver the oak flooring later which is ok so it doesn't get warped and damaged in case it rains or gets bathed in coffee (which is more likely because I seem to spill more than I drink), or damaged in any number of ways due to construction workers...(I mean us)
Somewhere in there will be the drilling of holes for concrete piers that support the porch posts. I'm told this will be no problem. I'm incredulous. Even though the frost line here is 1" it will be a hard fought 1" + 12" through solid limestone. I'll let you know how that goes. Anyway once the piers are in place the porch can be built, then partition walls on the inside. Then the electric, plumbing and everything else under the sun inside can commence. Speaking of, at some point there needs to be a sanding party weekend cuz every surface of every log needs some sanding and then sealing so look on the grapevine for that invite. Heh where'd everybody go?
Some other news is that my froggies have started chirping, or one has anyway which is good as it might mean I have a pair which would be lucky ducky. I need now to finish their coconut love hut to lay eggs under, and make a final decision on what the water feature will look like and then they can go into the grown out 30gallon as their final home. So that's pretty exciting.
We saw the movie "The Vanishing of The Bees" I spoke about in a previous post and at some points it was heart wrenching. Please watch it, please consider supporting the causes they highlight. Pretty please for all our sakes.
And as a segue to the next topic my bees are doing great. Their honey 'super' or top box on the hive must have weighed 50lbs when I lifted it off. I did not tear it down nor take any honey as this drought is hard enough without me destroying precious honey and comb. The other boxes were full of brood (young). And to my surprise were docile as could bee. It was cloudy so they were all home but stayed quiet and huddled in between the frames watching me but not swarming so that's a plus. The wild hive-reared queen doesn't seem to be Africanized considering how calm the hive was throughout the inspection. Now if I could just split it....actually I would be happy if they just stayed and continued to live.
Lessee I don't think I have anything else at the moment and the girly stirs. It's pill time!
Gnight y'all and thanks for stopping by!