Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Evolution of the cutting board

Hello again all those who like to cut things up!

Well as you will see I have been busy in the workshop during my Christmas holidays. All woodworkers seem to make cutting boards and as it turns out I am no different. The one I made is called an 'end grain' cutting board which is easier on the knife and resists chipping during use.

This first picture is the boards cut and ripped waiting to be glued up into the initial panel. The woods here are Walnut, Cherry and Maple:
 
This next one is after the panel was glued, sanded and then sliced into all the pieces that will be turned on their edges, hence the 'end grain' moniker. You can also see the final pattern emerging which was made by flipping every other slice 180 degrees:


And finally all glued up, sanded for quite awhile and then finished with Mineral Oil. After sanding on it for what seemed to be hours I realized I need a drum sander. It's pretty beefy and on the bottom edges it has hand holds since it is 14x16" and 1 1/4" thick so it should hold up to many years of use and be easy to use as well.

It's a beauty isn't it? This was my first one and I'm pretty happy about how it turned out. I learned a bunch about making cutting boards and did enjoy the process. I also had to make the 'sled' it is sitting on in all the photos to assist with the slicing and final trimming. I'll be using that again on other projects too.

Hmm, now let's see what to do with it....I think I'll go cut something up!

Thanks for stopping by, take care!
Jimily


No comments:

Post a Comment