Monday, February 11, 2013

Bowl and boxes

Hello all you fans of wood art!

Well I finished some little projects and am finishing others until the weather starts cooperating.

The first is a glue-lam, or Strata Beam bowl. We have a Strata beam that we aren't going to use and as it turns out makes good material for a turned bowl. I applied 3 coats of sanding sealer to it sanding between coats and then applied 4 coats of Wipe-On polyurethane as well to make it shiny. It has a foot although you can't see it and is approximately 8" wide and 5" tall. It came out rather well considering it is a bunch of pine flakes all smooshed together with glue.


The second and third are cedar boxes. They are small but they were good for learning box making technique. They are indeed round but are still called 'boxes' in the turning world. The first is about 3" wide and 4" tall and the second is about 3" wide and 3" tall. I really like how the grain runs on these. They came from cedar branches destined to be burned in the huge burn pile out in the front pasture. Both of these were soaked in Mineral oil for 2 days. Then the first one had a lacquer finish applied to it very much like French Polish. The second was left alone with no other finish. I might put some Polyurethane on both, we'll see how the surfaces look in a couple of weeks.


And a second:

Not good for much of anything except small stuff, perhaps matches or small keepsakes, or catching dust. I have a request to make a shorter, wider one for rings so I'll prolly do one of those.

Other than this I have the segmented bowl turned up and is waiting to finished. I still haven't decided what I'll put on it. I have a bunch of pictures while it was being made so I'll post them all at once. Then I have another Oak bowl that turned out really well and it too is receiving finish layers of Lacquer and will be posted soon as well.

That's all for now although I have some bottle stopper bottoms coming and will be making some of those as well for all you wine drinkers. Stay tuned!

Thanks for stopping by, take care!
Jimily

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee yes that is a possibility, but I don't know how long it would remain a secret as everyone who sees these boxes seems to open them immediately to see what's inside!

    Thanks for the comment!
    Jimily

    ReplyDelete